Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Buried in Reading

I tell you, if Fletcher is any example graduate school isn't like law school at all. It's true that there's a great deal of work to do in both, but the pedagogical methods are completely different. In law school, we had a fair amount of reading which we needed to know inside and out. Knowing the facts, holding and procedural posture of a case was all run of the mill, and some professors regularly asked us to support whatever argument we were making with specific page numbers.

Not so Tufts. Instead, we're just buried. Buried, buried, buried. It's all interesting material and I'm enjoying reading it. But the volume. In fact, it's common practice at Tufts for people to form study groups and split up the reading. They purposefully give you more work than they think you can complete. Seems bizarre to me, but I guess they know what they're doing...

My only consolation is that I've encountered my old friend Oliver Wendell in both institutions.

No comments: